Wednesday, May 30, 2012


Gareth Malone, conductor of Military Wives' chart topper Wherever You Are has told Radio Times about the homophobia he's encountered in life.

Although Gareth Malone hasn't exactly been secretive about his personal life - he has a wife and child - Malone was dismayed that his media career brought back memories of school bullying.

Gareth Malone: “It was slightly disappointing to find that after leaving school and leaving all that behind me from the age of about 15 to 30 and then coming into television and discovering, ‘Oh, right, everyone is just as juvenile as the kids at school were” 

Without wishing to endorse violence, slightly-built Malone nevertheless feels that he should have 'lamped' the school bullies: ".. looking back I kind of wish I had."

Asked if he was offended by the assumption that he is gay, Malone replied: “I've sort of got used to it. I suppose if I took the time to really think about it, I’d like to say, ‘It’s my business and I'm married for a start’, but not really. Really, that’s one demon I’ve exorcised.”

Newsround's website today: MPs have called for body image lessons to be taught in schools. It is the main cause of bullying in schools.

No comments: